A lot of us get it and no one wants to admit it.
Sudden, small red bumps on a very specific part of your body. What is this embarrassing problem no one wants to talk about? Two words: butt acne.
But is it actually acne?
Activities that involve sweating, sitting for long periods of time, and wearing tight, non-breathable fabrics can all contribute to a condition known as “folliculitis.”
Folliculitis is an inflammation of the follicle that presents as small red bumps and/or pustules that may itch. It does not respond to traditional acne clearing methods as it is caused mostly by a fungus, not by bacteria (there is bacterial folliculitis, but fungal folliculitis is more common). However, like acne, folliculitis can be controlled with a combination of topical antifungal products and lifestyle changes.
To treat folliculitis, we recommend using antifungal cleansers and shampoos, exfoliants and oral antifungal supplements. You can also make a number of lifestyle adjustments, such as changing your diet, that will help combat and prevent folliculitis.
Topical products such as our Mandelic Cleanser, Mandelic Scrub, and Mandelic Serums are not only great exfoliators, but being are effective in getting rid of butt breakouts ( I do sell them at my studio- Saving Face Skinspa and Acne Clinic). Taking oral supplements like Olive Leaf, Oil of Oregano, and Garlic can also aid you in your battle against those pesky bumps.
We can do treatments if you can’t get it under control. You won’t be the first or the last.
And to avoid future flare-ups, here’s a handy list of do’s and don’ts:
- Don’t use sticky lotions and thick creams.
- Do use folliculitis fighting Face Reality cleansers, scrubs, and serums.
- Don’t stay in those sweaty gym clothes.
- Do keep the affected area as dry as possible.
- Don’t wear constrictive clothing.
- Do wear loose, breathable fabrics such as cotton.
- Don’t eat foods high in sugar, yeast, and carbohydrates.
- Do eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Don’t use fabric softener or harsh detergents on clothing or sheets.
- Do use fragrance-free detergent and anti-static dryer balls.
- Don’t take hot showers and baths, including hot tubs.
- Do keep the area clean with tepid water.
Content provided by Face Reality Acne Clinic. Wendy Christman is a Face Reality Acne Specialist that provides quality Body Acne treatments in Olympia, WA .